This is a good time to look over your Etsy Analytics and make sure you are set up to get the most useful information in the upcoming year. Here are X essential things you can do now to help you target your customers and effectively track your Etsy shop in 2011.
1. Exclude your own traffic: Probably the most effective way is to create a cookie on your browser that you can filter out of your Google Analytics reports.
2. Set up Site Search: Etsy has activated the Site Search function so we can tell which search terms within Etsy are leading people to our shops.If you haven't already, set up Site Search, and start checking the report regularly to see how visitors are finding your items.
3. Start tagging your links: Get in the habit of tagging your links wherever you place them outside Etsy. If you run advertising through Project Wonderful or other ad services, tagging your links will allow you to see in one report how much traffic these ads are generating and to design effective ad campaigns.
4. Create an automatic e-mail newsletter: You can use Etsy's RSS feeds and Google's Feedburner service to create an automatic opt-in e-mail list that will let your customers follow your shop without getting spammed. Be sure to set up your feed to tag the links so you can see the traffic your newsletter brings in!
5. Get the Ref Codes and learn how to use them. Etsy uses codes in the links to your items so they can track how people find what they're looking for. You can do the same thing.